[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

re: what are realistic threats? (second issue)

to add my two cents worth!

I think there can be no talk of a transaction system, where it is known
to have security holes, but hope that is technically tough to attack. We
have a social responsibility to ensure the underlying system is secure as
is possible and reasonable.

To comment on unlikely attacks.  We have had earlier undergrads here
hack machine, change IP address etc. If they can do this, and more, we
need tough requirements.

Further I am not so worried about unprofessionals as these, but major
marketing agencies/corporations, seeing it as an opportunity for
intelligence on the markets - in effect giving them "insider tradering".
It will be very tempting to them due to their resources and technical
abilities.

So lets evolve a system that is enforcable, with strong authentication
etc. Hopefully this discussion will then turn to writing requirements (to
debate), otherwise it could get religous.

To some up.
If an attack is known, it is possible, and a threat should not be leftt
open. The problem maybe, as authentication protocols have shown, it is
near impossible to say something is secure (similar to saying your code
has no bugs!)

regards

Gary Gaskell
DSTC
Cooperative Research Centre for Distributed Systems Technology
Queensland University of Technology
Ph    +61-7-864 1051            FAX    +61-7-864 1282
Email gaskell@dstc.qut.edu.au   URL    http://www.dstc.edu.au/intro.htm